Friday, January 6, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I was more excited for this movie than I have been for any movie in quite a while.  I am a big fan of spy novels and films.  I had not read this book by John le Carre but had heard some great things from some old co-workers.  Needless to say I was ready for this traditional spy flick!

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a British spy film that takes place during the height of the Cold War.  The story entails George Smiley, played by Gary Oldman, trying to hunt down a mole within MI-6.  His former boss, Control, narrows it down between four people which includes the code names Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, and Spy.  The difficulty with the audience figuring out which is the "bad guy" is the fact that none of the possibilities are likeable.  This fact adds a great deal to the storytelling.

This movie has the best cast of any movie in quite a while.  Smiley, the star of the movie is played by Oldman, but the rest of the cast is also outstanding.  Colin Firth, John Hurt, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Toby Jones, Tom Hardy, and Benedict Cumberbatch are all main characters of this film.  The entire cast, even folks I did not mention, do a great job in their individual roles.

If I have any criticism about this movie it's the music.  The music fits the time period but it isn't good music from the time period.  It wasn't terrible but I was disappointed by it.


Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the best spy movie in a long long time.  If you're ready for a slow paced intellectual spy flick, this is it.  After seeing this one I hope the rumors of them making The Spy Who Came in from the Cold are true!

No comments:

Post a Comment