Sunday, February 26, 2012

50/50




50/50 is about a young guy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who is paranoid, and has a fear of driving because it's the fifth leading cause of fatalities, and is suddenly struck with cancer in his back.  He and his family are in complete and total shock, as I'm sure is often the case, and are unsure of how exactly to deal with the situation.  The story lays out his ups and downs and all the friends he meets along the way.

Adding some flavor to the story are some interesting characters including a girlfriend, played by Bryce Dallas-Howard, who doesn't know whether to stay or go, a neurotic mother (Anjelica Houston), a cooky but loyal friend (Seth Rogan) and an intriguing therapist (Anna Kendrick).  All of the actors do a stupendous job in their roles and I was even impressed by Bryce Dallas-Howard who I am normally not a fan.

While the idea of this movie seems depressing, I fully enjoyed it.  50/50 is extremely well told and though out.  This film really tells a story that I'm sure is the case for many who get hit by major traumatic events at a young age as many feel invincible prior to something like this happening.  I will share that I have not had cancer nor anyone close to me so it probably doesn't hit home like it might to many others.  Either way I would recommend checking this one out!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this movie. I heard Seth Rogan wrote this about his own experience with a friend surviving cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. It really felt like a heartfelt story!

    ReplyDelete