Monday, February 20, 2012

Midnight in Paris



First of all just let me say that my wife and I are going to Paris soon. We've never been, so we wanted to see some of the sights a little early through this film.  While we didn't know a tremendous amount about the movie we had a general idea of the story line.  Also, full disclosure, I'm not a fan of Owen Wilson.

Midnight in Paris ventures into the dramatic comedy territory.  I will say this area is a little out of my comfort zone because dramatic comedies tend to get a little dark for my taste.   The film is the story of an engaged couple who come to Paris for a vacation with their family.  When they arrive the two start to distance themselves from each other by their likes and dislikes.  During nightly walks, Gil (Owen Wilson) stumbles upon an amazing part of Paris that he falls in love with.  It's a blast from the past that captures his imagination and he feels Paris is perfect for him.

Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and Marion Cotillard are the stars of the movie and all are tremendous.  While I'm not a fan of Wilson (except in Behind Enemy Lines) his style fits well in this film.  One thing was impressive though, McAdams does a fantastic job of making you hate her with a passion.  Appearances are also made by Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Michael Sheen, and the wife of French President Nicolas Sarcozy, Carla Bruni.

Midnight in Paris was a very good movie which I would recommend checking out, especially if you enjoy the scenery of Paris.  Acting was superb, story was well-told and interesting, music was very good, and surprisingly the ending was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment