Wednesday, February 15, 2012

One Day



My wife and I saw this one on Valentines Day, so we were both in the right mood to see a sappy love story.  I was hopeful because I've always been impressed with Anne Hathaway's acting chops.  Honestly, the movie looked kind of cute so I dove in.

One Day follows a couple on their life's journey on one particular date in their lives over a period of 22 years.  Sometimes the couple is together, sometimes not, but it is very interesting to see their development from college graduation to full blown adulthood.  There are some very interesting side stories that keep the plot going.  There are some characters in the film that either shouldn't have existed or needed some additional fleshing out.

Anne Hathaway is again very impressive in One Day with a sometimes mousy appearance while at other times looking stunning.  Her overall performance is not as strong as in other films such as Devil Wears Prada, but frankly she just isn't asked to do as much.  The rest of the cast, while mostly no names, still does a very nice job.  Jim Sturgess, who plays Hathaway's love interest, does a good job but I can't help feeling like a stronger actor would have played this role a little better and strengthened the overall movie.

For a sappy movie to see on Valentines Day, I really enjoyed it.  The story is nice and fun throughout but I will say I hated the ending.  I'll probably give it a three out of five on Netflix.  If you're looking for a sappy one, I'd recommend One Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment