Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sucker Punch

Most of the time I generally know some about the movie I'm going to see from trailers, news articles, etc.  With Sucker Punch I had seen trailers but I had no real idea how in the world this movie was going to be.  I like Zack Snyder films though so I thought this one could be pretty good.

The movie stars a bunch of lesser named actors and actresses which include Emily Browning, Abby Cornish, Vanessa Hudgens, and Jenna Malone.  They do an acceptable job but there isn't a terrible much that's asked of them.  The star of the movie, Emma Browning, doesn't even have a line until about 15 minutes in the movie.  The standout in my opinion was probably Jenna Malone, but that's probably just because she has the most experience of all these ladies.  Jon Hamm also has a little cameo in here but doesn't do too much.

Sucker Punch is about a girl, Babydoll (Abby Cornish), who has a traumatic childhood which leads to her ending up in a mental institution.  While in the looney bin she meets the other girls and they begin their adventure of trying to escape.  The movie takes you into a series of alternate realities that the star has to put herself in to escape the horrible reality, and that is where the movie really shines in terms of action.  The story is a combination of some heavy drama and video game like action.  It is similar to Snyder's other movies when the action is going.

This film has very impressive CG throughout the alternate reality sequences and the drama in the "real world" is also smart and well done.  Sucker Punch is a pretty good movie but the story is kind of disjointed and has some action sequences which drag on far too long.  I probably wouldn't recommend people check this one out unless they're into other Zack Synder films such as Watchmen.

I want to be very forthright with my reviews.  I feel very conflicted about whether I like this movie or not.  I enjoyed watching it but I'm not sure I'd watch it again.  I also don't believe that many others would really enjoy this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment