Saturday, December 3, 2011

Super 8

I wasn't really sure what to think of Super 8when I added it to my Netflix list.  I knew it was Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams and that it was a science fiction movie.  I heard some pretty good things from people who had seen it in movie theatres.  I knew some things but I didn't really know what to make of the actual plot of the movie. 

Well after seeing Super 8 I discovered it is a campy sci-fi movie based in the late 80's about a bunch of kids trying to shoot a movie.  While filming the movie on their 8mm camera, which is of course where the name comes from, an awful accident occurs which is filmed by their camera.  As the story unfolds you learn about the cause of the accident and the people behind it.  The story is well conceived and enjoyable, but campy, except that I think I've seen this one before.

The movie stars a bunch of no name kids including Joel Courtney, Riley Griffiths, and Dakota Fanning's younger sister Elle Fanning.  Supporting cast also includes some character actors such as Kyle Chandler and Noah Emmerich.  The cast of the movie is pretty underwhelming but it fits the sleepy town the movie takes place in.

The soundtrack for Super 8 was pretty good but nothing spectacular like some of Spielberg's other films.  Not too much to say about it except the music fit well but nothing you'll remember or make you say "wow."

Super 8 was a really fun movie I would highly recommend checking out.  There are a few things you should know going into seeing this movie though.  First, it's campy, really really campy.  Second, don't expect any wild surprises our you'll be disappointed.  Finally, and this is what I have the biggest problem with, the story is basically ET all over again.  Yep, I said it.  I know it's not an exact replica but it's very similar and it loses some points in my book for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment